Under the cover slip competition details
Under the Coverslip is a national scientific photography competition at the University of Melbourne, run annually by students from the Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience in the School. Images are taken through various microscopes, and can be digitally modified and given a creative title and description before submission. They showcase the beauty of scientific imagery that the complex microscopic techniques produce, as well as the important research conducted by the students.
‘Under the Coverslip’ - Biomedical Science meets Art competition is a special version for students participating on this day.
Students will have the opportunity to photograph samples under light, fluorescence and scanning electron microscopes. They will have 3 weeks to finalise their images and send them back to GTAC via a Drop Box by Friday 20th September, 2019. First, Second and Third Prize winners will be notified by October 18th 2019, prizes will be mailed to the students’ schools and the award-winning entries will be shown at the Biomedical Science School’s end of year celebration.
Terms and conditions and competition rules
- GTAC will provide you with information on how to express your interest in attending this event and competition. Successful schools will be contacted by GTAC and asked to register for the event. By registering for this event and competition you agree to receive communication from the University of Melbourne regarding events and information for future students.
- Up to 2 images can be submitted, however they must be taken from different microscopes.
- Include an information page on each to include
- a 'snappy title'
- name of microscope used
- name of specimen
- magnification if you have the information
- include your name and school on image file and image info page file
- Entries to be submitted by 3pm on Friday 20th September, 2019.
- Head or School Manager of the School of Biomedical Sciences will judge the competition and their decision is final.
- Judging will take place during the term break.
- Prizes will be award for 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed entrants and their teacher.
- Prize winners will be notified by October 18th, 2019.
- Prizes will be mailed to winners’ schools.
- The University of Melbourne and GTAC reserve the right to use the art works created in promotional and marketing material and on their web sites.