Luka, Stella, Harvey, Miguel, Luke
On the 26th of March we conducted an experiment at GTAC as a part of the science immersion experience. The experiment was on the effects of insecticides on regular and mutant Drosophila Melanogaster larvae.
We did this by using two different kinds of the species. We used Canton S which is the regular wild type, and Da6KO which is a mutant (meaning it has become immune or hardly affected by some insecticides).
We then had four sections of four wells which we filled with 25 larvae in each. Two of the four groups we filled with the Canton S and two with the Da6KO. We then left one of each untouched from both the mutant and regular larvae so we could have something to compare the affected ones too.
Then we applied the Chlorantraniliprole insecticide to the others to find out if the mutant was as susceptible to it as the regular larvae.
To monitor the results we filmed each group (ones with the insecticide and ones without) for ten second intervals at the 0, 15, 30, 60 and 90 minute time marks. We did this to monitor the movement of the larvae so then we could see if the insecticides overtime effected the movement and therefore, the life of the specimen.
Our findings show us that the mutant (Da6KO) we were working with was greatly susceptible to the insecticide as we could see that over the time intervals the movement decreased at a relatively similar rate to the Canton S.