Viva-el-lab’s blog

By Grace, Javier, Tom, Jay, Bryan, Haider & Chels

On day one we looked at three different drosophila flies and how insecticides affected them. Two of the three types of drosophila were shot with radiation to cause mutations that may cause resistance to the insecticides. Each group had one type of fly, we had line 6. We looked at the larvae under the microscope and recoded their movement at the time points 15, 30,60, and 120 minutes. Our results found that the movement of the larvae slowed down over time after being exposed to the chemicals. We also had the great opportunity to work with a professional researcher who mentored us for the first day.

On day 2 we compared our data results and graphed them out. They showed that our line of fly had vulnerability towards the insecticides. After comparing our results we started our blogging adventure. Chris the tech guy showed us how to lay out a blog. Later in the day, we had an introduction to the Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). We also met Maya, who is a 3d animator and has completed two videos for GTAC. She showed us some of her work and taught us about her office. The video that she last made was about tetanus and how it affects the body.

Day 3 was a busy day. We alternated between looking through the SEM, dissecting microscopes and a bit of blogging. Looking through the SEM was pretty interesting. We found that one type of fly had smaller wings. We also compared between the wild type of fly and the “E” strain and found that the flies were similar with the exception of the body colour which was different between the flies. We then used a Punnet Square and discovered that the colour of the mutation was a recessive trait.


Day 4 was the major day for our findings. We separated the DNA from flies to test for Bari-Jheh Element which we believed aided in insecticide resistance. We did a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) on the isolated DNA to amplify its quantity. We then ran a gel to test how far the DNA moved and to check for the Bari Element. Our results showed that our fly strains were homozygous and that the mutated strains contained the Bari Element.